Monday, April 18, 2011

More enamel happenings

After the success of my enameled penny bracelet (see it here), my mother decided she wanted a bracelet of her own - with the same "turquoisey colored ones" I used in the last bracelet.  (yes, those were her words!)

I couldn't help but play with the layering this time - one layer of enamel is not enough for me to be happy with the overall coverage and color, so I experimented with the layers of color this time - and had a really fun time doing it.  The first set of pennies (I do four at a time) I used a gold enamel as a base layer with a layer of light green followed by a layer of turquoise on top.
You can see the gold layer a bit around the edges, and the second layer (the light green) helped the turquoise layer come out a bit darker.

I used a base layer of light golden brown on these pennies - actually two layers of the brown and one layer of light green.

For the base layer of these pennies I used a brown mix, the light green for the middle layer and a light coat of dark green for the third layer. 

All the pennies were drilled and domed before I enameled them.

1 comment:

Islandgirl said...

I'm waiting for my enamels and beads to come in the mail. Thanks for the links to the tutorials further down .. I know how to do beads but was uncertain how do flat pieces... since I'm a lampworker I wont' have torch issues.. I played with enamels in small kilns back in the dark ages when I was in school....