Saturday, April 24, 2010

Finishing Kumihimo

I am finding I love the whole process of Kumihimo.  It's almost hypnotic to weave the strands, it's fun to experiment with different fibers and colors, and I learn something each time I make a new project.  This time I experimented with some multi colored string (I found it in the hardware department at Home Depot or Lowes - really not sure what it's true purpose is, but I love how colorful it is) - which came out too long to be a bracelet and, of course, too short to be a necklace.  I'm sure I'll figure out something to do with it - but it's wonderfully colorful.  I will try this string again, in a longer length - that way I can incorporate all the colors and maybe make a necklace out of it.

Next I tried beads again - first using some white twine I have - a thicker string on which I pre-loaded size 6/0 seed beads.  I made each length of the string about 2 feet long and loaded 55 beads on each of the 8 strings.  I am still working out all the finer points of this - ie how many beads for a bracelet, how thick the string shoud be, etc., so while I knew 55 beads was probably too many, I wanted to err on the side of too much because you can always take away - it's not that easy to add.  I ended up using 24 of the 55 beads.

This is the finished bracelet - I used some sterling silver end cones (I glued the end knots, glued the inside of the cones and then wired the cones onto the bracelet ends - as per some instructions I saw while searching for information on how to finish the braid ends) and a nice sterling silver toggle clasp.  While I like how it turned out, it's almost too long and the whole process of gluing and wiring is rather messy. 

I next tried some bead crochet thread - just a heavier cotton thread - and size 8/0 seed beads.  I am not entirely happy how the thinner thread worked up with the beads - the bracelet is not as round and plump as the previous one, but that being said, it's still a nice piece.  This one is also a little too long - I see now that the adding of the cones and the clasp add more to the overall length than I had anticipated. I finished this one the same way as the silver one, only I used copper findings.

I have another braid started - this time I braided the end and created a buttonhole so rather than tie the ends off and add the glue, I will add a button and it will close that way.  It will be interesting to see how this one comes out!

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Eu gostei do comentarios que voce fez do seu kumihimo. Tambem tenho dificuldades na colagem das pe├žas.

I liked your comentarys that you have. Also i have dificulties with the glue of the pieces.

Anonymous said...

To make a necklace out of the top one, you could use cones for the ends, but instead of adding a clasp right away, add some chain. Then add your clasp.