Monday, November 12, 2007

Week 45 - Inter-Connection

Using some (of my MOST favorite) black steel and some 8mm vintage (glass) pearls, I created single swirled components out of the 19gauge steel using a hand-concocted jig (simply a 3/8" metal rod in a piece of pre-drilled teflon) and my needle nosed pliers. That satisfied my desire for symmetry in each unit and made it much easier to form each swirl.
Before I added the loop at the end, I slipped on an 8mm vintage pearl and then connected them so the necklace resembles a sort of vine curling around itself and up and around the neck, and the pearls seem to float on the vine.
I added a hand formed "S" clasp and an extender chain (for added length), but once it was on it seemed too plain, so I added three lengths of curved, hammered steel, staggered in length, each with a pearl, to the center unit. When on, the necklace sits on the collarbone and the center dangle rests just at breast level.

you can see more of my jewelry on my web site.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Hi :)( Sorry for my English I am Russian)

I love your work and you made me try to make my first piece...
And I fall in love with wire...Still not confident though. This Necklace is fantastic! And I have to confess I want try to copy it - just for my self... Black and white is my favourite colour. I am not sure about this black steel. I bought some from wires.co.uk and ...it smell like old car :) Is it ok to wear this wire, or it will liave some marks and I need use some vanish?

mrs beadsley said...

bad_mama-
no need to apologize for your English - it's great and thanks so much for your compliments on the necklace and my work. I am not sure about the wire you got from wires.co.uk.......the black steel I use I found at a local hardware store. I have had no problem with the black rubbing off when I wear the pieces I made and I didn't have to put any sort of coating or varnish on it. And I must admit, I did smell mine but it sure doesn't smell like an old car!!! :-)
Welcome to the world of wire and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! If you ahe any other questions, please let me know!