Sunday, February 3, 2008

YOJ 2008 - Week 5 Mardi Gras


I had a blast making this mask for the Mardi Gras theme. I used 20 gauge brass wire which I cut into 8 equal lengths. I coiled some 16 gauge brass wire in the middle of the lengths to secure the wires and to create a mid point for the mask. I added some really bright colorful seed beads (8/0 gold, 11/0 green and some 8/0 purple triangle beads I liked for their metallic shimmer) and then formed the mask. I used a brass rod to anchor one side of the mask (the handle used to hold it to the face) - I coiled some 20 gauge brass wire around the rod to soften the look and to integrate the coils from the mask piece. On the other side I tried to keep the look freeform with curves, dips and coils that frame the eye hole as well as (once "on") the wearers face.
I may not make it to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, but I'll definitely look the part, even though I'm all the way up in Maine!

No comments: