Thursday, February 12, 2009

You've got Maille.......

Chain maille, of course! At mrs beadsley of maine we take custom requests and during the store wide sale (to benefit the Maine Poodle Rescue) we got a request from one of our best clients for a Romanov weave bracelet. Since I have never done a Romanov weave, I wanted to practice on copper before working with the sterling silver wire - wire gauges and ID and OD and aspect ratios - it's almost like being back in high school math class! Having done byzantine weave before (Romanov weave is sections of byzantine weave linked together) I already had the gauge and ID calculations and just needed to figure the size bead that would fit in each Romanov link. After some trial and error, I ended up using a 6mm aventurine round, which I wrapped with some 22 gauge copper wire. Each Romanov section is linked with a jump ring made with some 18 gauge square copper wire, and I crafted an "S" clasp for closure. I love how this bracelet turned out and am really looking forward to doing it in sterling silver.


1 comment:

Deanna Lack said...

Very nice Romanov! I love copper with green :)