Saturday, February 27, 2010

It's just Common Cents

.........or maybe I should say the new jewelry line from mrs beadsley's is anyway! I am having fun with pennies and all the things that can be done with them.  I think they are interesting when flattened, left whole, buffed or whatever.  And since there are boxes and boxes of them here at the house, that equals a lot of opportunities to explore creative ways to use them in jewelry.
So, I collected some tools and wire and beads - and a penny of course
some lovely aventurine beads from Turquoise Magpie
a lovely heart shaped clasp from my local bead store - Beads on the Kennebec
copper wire from my local hardware store - Audettes - Ace Hardware
wheat penny drilled and domed
the finished piece.  Now named "(un)common cents".

3 comments:

SharDon Exclusives said...

WOW! How cool! I love using found objects to create a one of a kind creation. Your idea about the penny is wonderful. How do you dome the penny so well without destroying the image? Great job. I love the design and the beads,
Sharon

m. heart said...

Beautiful jewelry! I'm wondering the same thing about shaping the penny...
Thanks for commenting on my blog today!

mrs beadsley said...

I use a steel dapping block and a large bolt I had downstairs (queen of the reduce, reuse, recycle movement here!). That said, there were a few pennies sacrificed in the pursuit of a clean dome being done. I also heat the pennies on top of my woodstove (in sand in a stainless steel bowl) so I don't have to whack them all that hard.
thanks for looking and posting such nice comments!